-
January 21st, 2005, 08:04 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Just a couple of days ago, I received an AGOT outfit from Ebay, and it smells like cigarette smoke. I remember that Melissa told us once about using kitty litter to get that smell out of used books. I'm wondering what you-all think about my trying that for these clothes. And if you think it's a good idea, what would you suggest for type of litter, how deep to cover the clothes, and how long to cover them with the litter.
Joy
-
January 21st, 2005, 09:10 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Ok. I couldn't wait, so I'm experimenting. All the pieces are buried in kitty litter (clean, unused) [img]wink.gif[/img] . I used the Purina "Tidy Cats" scoopable kind for "long lasting odor control formula", for "multiple cats"--just because I had it on hand. I put the outfit pieces in a tupperware-type container, with layers of litter between each piece, including the sandals, which also smell pretty strongly.
I put the container up high, where my cat can't reach it, and I closed and latched the door, so that he can't get in there to even try to get up there.
Now, what are your opinions on how long I should let this "soak"? We'll do this experiment together. [img]wink.gif[/img]
Joy
-
January 21st, 2005, 09:24 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Joy, I have no clue...but it's cool that we can do this experiment with you...Maybe you could just leave it there overnight? Get it out first thing in the AM? Or maybe that would be to long...perhaps you could take it out after dinner to see what it smelled like? Let us know how it goes! you're cool [img]cool.gif[/img]
-
January 21st, 2005, 10:29 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I washed an outfit and the doll's body in a dilute solution of Fabreze. It got rid of most of the smell. I was never completely successful in getting the smell of smoke out of her hair, so I eventually gave the doll away. I only really got her (a non-AG doll) because of the cute outfit she was wearing and I still have that...
Taffy
-
January 30th, 2005, 08:22 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Next phase of the experiment....
I ended up getting busy and forgetting to "un-soak" the clothes in the kitty litter--for about a week. Last night I finally got around to it.
Results: Almost all of the smell was out. The shoes and shorts still smelled a little of smoke. The down side was that the kitty litter had a bit of a perfume to it, and now the clothes smelled like that (almost like a Febreze smell). Also, there was a bit of a dust left on them from the kitty litter dust. So I gave in and washed them. I had been trying to avoid washing them, because I didn't want to risk their running or losing some body. But I put the washing machine on the "Hand Wash" setting, and on "Cold", and added just a 1/2 tsp or so of Woollite, and then air-dried them on a radiator (on a towel). They seem to have turned out pretty well, except the small amount of smoke smell that's left.
Well, there are the results of this experiment! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Joy
-
February 7th, 2005, 04:13 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Well, I left them to dry on top of a radiator for a few days, and after they had aired out for several days, there is no smoke smell left, as far as I can tell! End of experiment. [img]wink.gif[/img]
Joy [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
February 9th, 2005, 03:40 AM
#7
Inactive Member
My parents' home (and therefore my childhood one) was severely damaged in Hurricane Isabel in 2003 by flooding. When my mother and I went on salvage trips, of course everything had a musty, "rivery" smell to it - including the DH's Explorer, which was the best thing to pack stuff in. My brother, who flew out from Seattle to help us out, said his wife suggested dryer sheets placed in boxes and bags of things. We dropped about five in the truck post-haul and they worked like a charm - all the musty smell was gone overnight; they work well on stuff like books that you can't spray as well as clothes. And there's nothing there that could cause damage to fabrics.
I wonder if you put a doll in a box with several dryer sheets if it would get the smell out of the stuffing. Just an idea.
-
February 9th, 2005, 05:39 AM
#8
Janie3082
Guest
I've gotten several outfits off ebay, and only one of them smelled reeeaaally bad. (Kirsten's work dress) I put it in my bathroom sink in cold water and gently hand washed it with Woolite. It seriously got all the stink out! I just laid it out on a towel to air dry and it was perfect! Hope this helps a little! [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks